COLOMBO (News 1st); The Kanugahawewa Renovation Project which came to life as a result of the “Gama Samaga Pilisandara” program by the President, saw the completion of its second phase on Thursday (29).
This project was taken over by the Commander of the Air Force, Air Marshal Sudarshana Pathirana in line with the 70th anniversary of the SLAF which was celebrated this year..
The Kanugahawewa Village is home to 314 families and approximately 942 civilians.
Based on the needs of those in Kanugahawewa, renovation of the Kanugahawewa Abinawarama Viharaya, Kanugahawewa Primary Vidyalaya, Halmillawetiya Vidyalaya, houses for those who cannot afford to build a house on their own and many other development projects were undertaken by the Sri Lanka Air Force.
Under the first phase the New Bell Tower of the Abinawarama Viharaya, renovation of the “Bodhi Prakaraya”, renovation of the Sangawasa building, renovation of the Wash Room complex of the temple, a new Teachers Quarters building, School Play Ground, Home Gardening Project, Main Hall for the Kanugahawewa Primary Vidyalaya, renovation of the IT Lab and the Wash Room Complex of the Halmillawetiya Vidyalaya was completed.
In addition, 13 houses were completed as well. The President also witnessed an eye operation being performed for the residents free of charge in the SLAF Mobile Eye Hospital. His Excellency also took time to inspect the electric fence built to protect the Village.
The entire project is conducted under the guidance of the Commander of the Air Force who appointed a Steering Committee led by the Director Ground Operations of the SLAF, Air Vice Marshal Camillus Labrooy.
The second phase of the project is for the Development and Renovation of Kanugahawewa Vidyalaya which also saw the construction of a building for Teachers’ Quarters, the Construction of a school playground, and the Construction of a new school building.
Thursday’s event to declare open the above constructions and also to present 12 houses to families with no permanent housing took place under the auspices of Sports Minister Namal Rajapaksa.
The Project Plan is as follows.
1. Development and Renovation of Kanugahawewa Abinawarama Temple.
– Completion construction work of the Dhamma School Building.
– Renovation of the Bodhi Prakaraya.
– Construction work of the Sangawasa Building.
– Construction of the Pagoda.
– Construction of a new Toilet Complex.
– Construction of a Bell Tower.
2. Development and Renovation of Kanugahawewa Vidyalaya.
– Construction of a building for Teachers’ Quarters.
– Construction of a school playground.
– Construction of a new school building
3. Construction of a toilet complex and Renovation of a Computer Lab at Halmillawatiya Vidyalaya
4. Construction of a new building and renovation of the existing buildings in the village Pre School.
5. Building of an electric fence to protect the village from the elephant threat.
6. Construction of 70 houses for the homeless.
7. Housing Project
– 1st stage – Ten houses will be constructed and handed over to owners. This stage will be completed by 2nd March 2021 in line with the 70th Air Force Anniversary.
– 2nd stage – Fifteen houses will be constructed and handed over to owners.
– 3rd stage – Rest of the housing project will be completed.